We welcome new volunteers to come and join our community in our six acre therapeutic, market garden. We appreciate a wide variety of skills including:
- DIY and building
- social and therapeutic support
- marketing and admin
We are flexible about time commitment though our garden is only open on a Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from c 9.30-4pm. Zoe, who is a horticultural therapist, runs the project and will generally be on site throughout the day leading the activities.
A typical day:
- Arrive between 9.30-10am - opportunity to talk, have tea and cake
- Morning tasks are set and mixed groups work together in various parts of the garden
- Lunch, harvested from the garden and cooked on site is eaten together at c 12.30
- Afternoon tasks are set and you will be working on a project with a mixed group
- Volunteers leave between 3.30 and 4pm
Some benefits of volunteering with us:
- develop and learn new skills
- build confidence
- be supported in overcoming personal difficulties
- make new friendships
- give something back
- create things for others benefit
- reduce stress
- improve physical and mental wellbeing
- connect with food, growing, wildlife and nature
- use your cretaivity and experience
- eat more healthily and have access to chemical free fruit and vegetables
We have a wide variety of on-site facilities which include:
- Car parking for c 25 cars.
- A composting toilet.
- A large, well equipped wooden cabin which we use for preparation, cooking, planning and shelter for a small number of people. We also have drinking water and hot water, plus we have a two ring gas fired hob and crockery for a reasonably large group. Please note there is no electricity available on site.
- A beautiful wood fired pizza oven (operational Spring 2017) which has been designed and crafted by a group from Phase One, a hostel in Brighton.
- An outdoor seating area around a campfire which can be used for outdoor cooking.
- Polytunnels including work space indoors which can be used in bad weather or to accommodate a certain activity.